I was observing the departmental store sales in Australia through the Australian Bureau of Statistics data which is widely available through their website and here are some of the findings:
1. The departmental stores sales in Australia were hit badly in the month of February 2010, as compared to the trend in the previous years.
2. Though the sales were tad a bit better than last year but were far below Feb. 2008.
Whilst, I tried to explain various external factors that explain the departmental sales, I found that the following have a significant impact on the departmental sales in Australia:
- Cafes, Restaurants and Takeaway Food Services Sales in the Month
- Food Retailing Sales in the month
- No. of Employed Females in Australia
in the order as above.
Looking at the correlations between the Departmental Sales, Retail Sales and Cafes, Restaurant sales, I found the following:
The departmental Sales are strongly correlated :
This means that if the Food Retailing Sales increase and Cafes, Restaurants and takeaway food services do a good business, with more women working, departmental stores are going to have a good time and will have a good month in Sales.
I hope the above information is helpful.